Saturday, April 18, 2009

Our First Hospital Trip

The past few days have proved to be challenging, and have required even more patience! I woke up on Thursday to regular contractions (every 7 minutes), which continued through the day, night, and the following day. They never changed or came closer together though, so Michael and I did our best to continue our normal routine. Boy, has this been exhausting!!

It wasn't until Friday night around 10pm that a very strong contraction hit me. Immediately I realized that something felt different, and sure enough they started coming every 3-4 minutes apart. Although I wasn't in agonizing pain, we decided to put our bag in the car and head to the hospital.

At the hospital the nurse examined me and we learned that I was only 1 cm dilated and 80% effaced. The baby is still fairly high, and probably in a posterior position (which explains the back labor pains I was experiencing). After an hour not much had progressed, so my doctor suggested that they give me inducing hormones to get labor moving and welcome our baby into the world. In the end, Michael and I decided to head back home to rest and give my body a chance to naturally progress (and hopefully allow the baby to drop deeper). No need for immediate medical intervention if nothing is seriously wrong!

And so I sit here half a day later, distracting myself by documenting our experience, while still experience regular (and much more painful) contractions. We are praying that labor continues to progress today, and will hopefully make another trip to the hospital shortly-- this time to return home with our baby boy!! Please keep us in your prayers!

Here is what I thought would be my last pregnant photo... 40 weeks along!

No comments: