We've arrived safely in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia! I am still awaiting the arrival of my computer, which is being shipped here. Once it arrives I promise to post photos of our new home, but until then I will try to keep you updated.
The three of us departed LAX at 11pm on Saturday January 2nd, and survived a 14-hour flight to Melbourne, arrriving at 9:30am on Monday January 4th. Because of the time change, we skipped Sunday altogether! The airline switched us to a direct flight and upgraded us to business class-- so we were very comfortable, which was a wonderful blessing! Dominic did pretty well-- he is still a horrible sleeper, so Mommy and Daddy are used to staying up all night with him anyways ;).
After clearing customs and retrieving our 4 bags, (believe it or not, Dominic brought an extra bag, not Mommy!) we took a taxi directly to our new apartment, on St. Kilda street. Michael had picked out our place while he was here in December, and it is perfect for our 4.5-month stay. It is a furnished 2-bedroom in a sky rise, has a beautiful view of the beach and the cityscape, and is central to many attractions in the city. We've spent the past three days settling into our home away from home, nursing our jet lag, and exploring some nearby streets.
One of the biggest challenges for us will be adjusting to life without a car! This state is unknown to most of us living in Southern California! We are learning about the city's tram system, and figuring out how long it takes to walk from here to there. I have to admit that I am a little grateful that I won't have to deal with learning to drive on the LEFT side of the road... it is still very confusing to experience!!
Although I have much more exploring to do, from what I have seen Melbourne is a very beautiful city. It has much more greenery than most cities I've visited, and a unique artistic and youthful vibe. I can't wait to see more!
No comments:
Post a Comment