Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Letter to my Baby on his First Birthday

Dear Dominic Pierre,

It is hard for me to believe that we are already celebrating one year since we welcomed a new life into this world. It seems like yesterday that I was patiently waiting your arrival. You were so comfortable in my belly, we did not think you would ever come out! After four days of labor, the doctor and nurses decided that it was finally time for us to meet. I was very scared when they laid me on the surgery table, but your daddy held my hand tight and we prayed together. It was only moments later that I heard your little cry, and tears of joy and gratefulness flooded my face.


Everyone spoke about how BIG my little guy was! I could not wait to see you and asked the nurse to bring you over immediately. She lifted your wrinkly body into your daddy's arms, and our eyes met. You were so beautiful! Although you were a pretty big guy (9lbs 2 oz), you seemed very tiny to me, with your dark fuzzy head and precious blue-gray eyes. As soon as they wheeled me into the recovery room I held you in my arms, nursed you, and fell in love.


Since then, it is difficult to describe how much joy you have brought to our lives and those around you. You smile and make friends wherever we go, and they all smile back at you. Your giggles are contagious to all those around you. We have had our challenging days (and nights), but they have all been worth it. All of the countless hours I spent holding, rocking, and singing to you have contributed to our special bond. Now that you are walking you are starting to let go and explore on your own, but you always come back to me in the end. I hope that you will see me as your home base for many more years, because I will always be here for you.


Just 1 year ago, you were a little pink newborn, swaddled tight in hospital blankets and seeing the world for the first time. Today you are wearing sneakers, singing songs, blowing kisses and eating grilled cheese sandwiches. I can't wait to witness your personality continue to bloom and share more new experiences and milestones with you.

I love you so much Dominic. Happy Birthday!

Love,
Maman

No comments: