Saturday, May 12, 2012

motherhood

This year I am celebrating my fourth Mother's Day.



Growing up, I never really wanted to be a mom.  For the most part, my dreams of being a dancer or business-owner overshadowed it.  I even went through a (rather selfish) phase in my teens where I announced that I would "never, ever" have kids.  I guess saying that I wasn't the "camp counselor" type is a bit of an understatement.

During our engagement Michael and I had many long discussions, and after a lot of prayer we ultimately believed that God was calling us to let Him take charge of planning our family.  Despite our commitment to being open to children, I often felt confused about why God would give me so many talents and gifts, if he wanted me to be just another mom.  I was so influenced by our anti-family culture, that I didn't see the value in motherhood.

The day Dominic was born was surprising in so many ways.  Everything changed.  

I became just another mom.  And it was absolutely perfect.

I never imagined that anything I could do would bring so much meaning to my life.  So much love.  From that first day at the hospital, I felt completely enveloped in love, and it hasn't left me for one second since.  My talents and gifts, encompass being a mommy.  I was created for motherhood.  

Motherhood has made me a stronger woman.  It has made me more selfless, more patient, more charitable and taught me the real meaning of sacrifice.  Motherhood has made me a better person.

 Michael and I often joke that taking care of our intense, high-needs, wakes up every forty-minutes baby was parenting bootcamp.  When I think back on that first year of motherhood, it does seem like one of the biggest challenges I have faced so far.  And for that, I feel fulfillment, pride and accomplishment, like I have never experienced before.  It turns out that, thanks be to God, being just another mom is pretty darn rewarding.   Motherhood is a priviledge, never to be taken for granted.  

 My babies are as much a part of me as I am a part of them.  My body brought them into this world, and there has not been a morning when I haven't woken up and felt eternal grateful for their presence, their beautiful souls.   I love, love, love being the woman that they call "mommy".

Happy mother's day to all of the other amazing women in this world. You may feel like "just another mom", but you are so valuable.  Never forget how privileged you are to kiss a "boo-boo", read a bedtime story, nurse that sweet baby, get down on the floor just to play, and to bring forth life into this world.



P.S.  Happy mother's day Mom!

No comments: