We love our advent book basket tradition, and Michael and I had a chance to get ahead on some sorting and wrapping this weekend.
We will unwrap a different book for each day of Advent. I read about this tradition about four-years-ago, and have been planning ever since! This is the second year that with a little help from our library, I have enough books to get us entirely through Advent. I would love to have enough storybooks to read through the 12-days of Christmas one year as well!
A friend asked me to share with her my book list. Here is our plan for this year (and some of my commentary to go with it)!
Dec. 1- What is Christmas?
Got this one on B&N clearance a few years ago, but I actually like it for ages 1-4. It goes through all of the Christmas traditions (trees, cookies, santas), but culminates in the answer that Christmas is the birthday of Christ.
Dec. 2- Merry Christmas Strega Nona
Picked this one up at the library but it looks excellent. About preparing for Christmas, so very appropriate for Advent.
Dec. 3- Random Hallmark Nativity story book (still needed a couple of fillers!)
Dec. 4- The Story of Christmas
It's fine, bought on clearance as well. Nothing spectacular!
Dec. 5- The Miracle of St. Nicholas
Beautiful book about a small town in Russia that comes together to create a special Christmas. I love this one.
Dec. 6- Feast of St. Nicholas, both boys are getting a new book for this feast! I bought:
Country Angel Christmas (Angels help prepare for a visit from St. Nicholas, so cute!)
Room for a Little One (Very sweet for little kids!)
Dec. 7- A gift from St. Nicholas
Excellent story that ties in the link between Jesus and the story of Santa Claus
Dec. 8- Feast of the Immaculate conception- A Donkey's Dream
I bought this for the Jan 1st feast last year and it is a lovely book. About a donkey who dreams of carrying a lady full of Heaven (and he does).
Dec. 9- Strega Nona's Gift
Grabbed this one from the library-- you can never go wrong with Tomie Depaola Christmas books!
Dec. 10- The Twelve Days of Christmas
Library book, really pretty illustrations of the song- Would rather save this one for Christmas but it will be due before then :-). I might keep it in mind for the future!
Dec. 11-not sure yet... hoping to find The Night of Las Posadas at the library again this year.
Dec. 12- Feast of Our lady of Guadalupe- Our Lady of Guadalupe
I got this one on black friday last year for like $5! It is probably more appropriate for ages 4-10, but tells the story of Juan Diego and Our Lady!
Dec. 13- Feast of St. Lucy- Lucia Saint of Light
Just added this to our collection this year! Looks cute, but I haven't read through it entirely. Talks about how they celebrate the feast of St. Lucy in Sweden (and teaches about the Saint).
Dec. 14- The Nutcracker
My boys LOVE this story! I am a proud mommy/ballet teacher!
Dec. 15- The Legend of the Candy Cane
This was Dominic's "new book" last year and he loved it. Makes a connection between Jesus and the symbol of the candy cane.
Dec. 16- The Clown of God
I have to warn you that the main character dies at the end of the story-- but it is such a beautiful story that I've pulled it out for the past couple of years anyways. It is about a Christmas miracle.
Dec. 17- The Little Drummer Boy
A singing board book-- a sweet story especially for little boys!
Dec. 18- Mortimer's Christmas Manger
I LOVE THIS ONE! Definitely one of my favorites. Great for all ages. You need this one for your collection!
Dec. 19-How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Classic!
Dec. 20- The Legend of the Pointsettia
BEAUTIFUL story!! Check your library they usually have it.
Nativity story, the Night Before Christmas, and a cute stable animal poem.
Dec. 22- Who is coming to our house?
I LOVE this one, especially for toddlers.
Dec. 23- All for the Newborn Baby
A very pretty story/lullaby about the infant Jesus.
Dec. 24- Silent Night
This one gives me chills, we've read it on Christmas eve for the past couple of years. Beautiful illustrations that go with the song.
-------
Epiphany- We Three Kings
Really beautiful illustrations to the traditional song!

1 comment:
Chantal,
After our conversation I had to go back and look at your list so I can print it out and work on our own Advent book list. It will be here in a blink of an eye!
Thank you for sharing you talent!
- Whitney
Post a Comment