Tuesday, April 29, 2014

five star boy

Dear Dominic, 

Happy Birthday to my baby boy.  Yes, you will always be my baby boy.  The first baby I ever held, nursed, loved and learned to take care of.  And now you are FIVE!  You are barely even a preschooler anymore.  How grateful I am to have spent each day of these past five years with you and getting to know you.  You have taught me so much about life and continue to with each passing year.  



My sweet Dominic, if I could only tell you how much joy your smile brings to our home.  You still haven't lost the twinkle in your eyes, and I pray you never do.  You are constantly discovering new things and soaking in the present-moment around you.  You are a genuinely happy person who loves a party and can effortlessly draw a large group of people into your wonderful imaginary and exciting world.  You love, love, love reading books together, and to show for it you have an incredible vocabulary for a little guy.  You are always surprising and delighting your dad and I with large unexpected words.  And although you've grown up quickly, I cannot help but smile about all the wonderful things you still have to discover in your upcoming years.  



This year has been eventful for you.  You officially said goodbye to babyhood when you gave up your pacifier.  And then you aged about 25 years when we shaved off your floppy toddler hair.  I had my first "drop-off" experience when you attended our parish Vacation Bible School all by yourself.  We started our pursuit of academia with some pre-kindergarden lessons at home, and you've learned to read and almost finished Kindergarden math!  We also had our first team-sports experiences with soccer and tee-ball.  And of course, you grew up leaps and bounds when we brought your baby brother home, whom you have showered with unconditional love.  Since we brought you home from the hospital five years ago I have enjoyed everyday more and more, and your super fours have been no exception.  I thank God for entrusting such a beautiful person in my care!



You are the most wonderful gift to your dad and I.  You love intensely and are always sharing this pure love with our family.  My heart swells when you are about to hit from the tee during your games, and turn around to flash a smile and make sure that I am watching.  Several times you have called out to me unashamed to announce that it is your turn to bat-- and I could never be prouder to be called "Mommy" by such a sweet little boy.

Thank you for all of the happiness you bring us and the love you share with our family.  We can already see glimpses of what an incredible leader and example you will be to your little brothers as you boys grow up together.  We are so grateful for you.

---

I am not sure that we will be able to top Dominic's fifth birthday.  We started the day with our parish Easter Egg Hunt and a whole lotta sugar.  Shortly after we came home to regroup, our birthday boy opened gifts from our family:  new storybooks, flip-flops, glow-in-the-dark stars for his bedroom ceiling and some walkie-talkies.




After presents, the boys had a ton of fun dyeing Easter Eggs.

Our day culminated in a Wild Kratts themed party at my parents house.  

Michael's parents were in-town for Easter, and Dominic's Godparents and cousins join us as well. Dominic was thrilled to family from both sides together for his day.





Frozen was THE gift he had wished for for his birthday.  He was THRILLED to receive it!



The boys love their sweet cousins so much.  They had a blast playing and swimming with them all evening.




The pinata was so. much. fun.  






























What a night!  
Happy Birthday Dominic!  


No comments: