I put together this book basket for All Saints Day (November 1st), but since the Church dedicates the entire month of November to the Saints and Holy Souls, we have been enjoying it since.
Here is what we are reading these days:
For each letter of the alphabet the author shares a delightful poem about a saint, who's name starts with the letter. The illustrations are pretty but in black-and-white. The prose is definitely the treasure in this children's book.
Again here, a saint represents each letter of the alphabet, followed by a sweet rhyme. The poems are short enough to keep the attention of younger preschoolers and toddlers and the drawings are colorful and youthful, without being too "cartoony".
This one is part of a series of Catholic look-and-find books. I do not enjoy reading this book aloud to the kids, but it is terrific to bring to mass (if you bring books to mass for your little ones-- we do!), or to keep in the car. It keeps my boys occupied for long periods of time.
This is a must-have for every Catholic home. I use this book as reference for feast days or to learn about new saints. Each page has a drawing, prayer, feast day information and a short narrative of the Saint's life. Our copy used to belong to my husband as a child :-).
This book contains several saint stories in a chapter/short story format. They are engaging and well-written. I love that it focuses on the heroic aspects of the saints. My 5-year-old especially enjoys it read-aloud to him, but a middle-grade child would definitely enjoy reading it themselves.
I really enjoy all of these vintage, reprinted Newman Press picture books. I had to purchase this one when I realized that St. Dominic Savio and St. Gabriel the Archangel are both featured (Dominic and Gabriel's patron saints). The stories and illustrations are simple and beautiful. It is especially wonderful for younger children, maybe about ages 3-8. There is also "Saints for Girls" by the same publisher that looks just as sweet.
The picture book introduces a message from Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI to children. I find my children a little young for this story, however they constantly want it read-aloud to them. The pictures and the message is inspiring for children of all-ages.
This is a cute introduction to many saints. The vocabulary and stories are appropriate for little ones, and the drawings are brightly colored and attractive. They could also make great easy-readers for first or second graders.I only wish that they weren't paperback, because ours are already starting to wear.



.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment