Friday, April 24, 2015

Six-Years-Old!






Dear Dominic,

Can my baby boy really be six-years-old?  Happy Birthday my child.

Six is a big deal.  You are out of early-childhood and preschool and officially into boyhood.  

This has been a delightful year for you.  We chose to keep you home for kindergarten, and I could  never have imagined what a priviledge that would be for our entire family!  Academically you have flown through most subjects.  You can read simple stories, easily memorize anything, write out your alphabet, and you are already halfway through 1st grade math book.  My favorite activity has been our daily readings of the Old Testament in our illustrated Bible.  It amazes me how easily you retain and comprehend the stories you hear.  It has truly been an honor to witness you learning.  

Your favorite thing this year has by far been stories and books.  You could listen to me read all day if it was possible.  We share several picture books daily, and have also started delving into middle grade chapter books together. And honestly, parenting does not get any better than that!  I have loved sharing so many tales and imaginary adventures with you this year.  And when I am busy with your brothers or other responsibilities (as often happens), you calmly listen to your audiobooks (you especially love fairy tales) for hours on end.  I can already imagine you curling up with a good book.

I have so much hope that your story-formed childhood is already starting to foster character in you.  You are very good at discerning right from wrong in your imaginary worlds, as well as in our everyday life.  You love to please your Dad and I through obedience and a joyful attitude.  You are such a lovely child, and I truly couldn't be more proud of you.  Stories have also made you quite a romantic. You are constantly seeing beauty in the world around us, and putting a positive spin on all situations. Your perspective enriches my days in ways I could never have imagined.  You enjoy dreaming about the future, of what you will be when you grow up, inventions you will create, and who you will marry.  For most of this year you have been convinced about a career as a Detective, so that you can work in the police force but "rarely use a gun".

You are an incredible big brother to Gabriel and Nicholas.  You are constantly looking out for them and thinking of ways to show them your affection.  You gladly "babysit" the baby while I tend to something around the house, and you do an excellent job at it.  Nicholas absolutely adores you.  And Gabriel looks up to you in every way.  You two are best friends and buddies and you play so well together.  If you must be apart for a short time you miss each other dearly, and you are always so sweet to excitedly tell him about your solo adventures.  Watching you two grow in your friendship is one of the greatest pleasures that I have experienced as a parent.  One of my favorite moments of this year was when we told you about your newest sibling, to arrive in about 6-months.  I can hardly describe the purity in the JOY you demonstrated at that moment.  It was amazing and made me yearn for the same kind of selflessness you displayed.

You are our social butterfly who loves being with family and friends All. The. Time.  Being alone or having quiet breaks is a struggle for you!  You would much rather be surrounded by people and action.  You love visiting new places and trying new things.  You are always up for a party and enthusiastically lead the rest of the kids involved into exciting and imaginative games.  You go-go-go with energy and excitement all day long, until you crash at the end of the day.  And you are our best sleeper in our house right now!

This year you have also loved riding your bike, playing dress-up, coloring, painting, building with Legos, ice skating and playing hockey, playing iPad games, swimming, tee-ball, making up stories, playing outdoors, watching Wild Kratts, going on nature walks, pretend play, memorizing poetry, helping with little chores around the house, eating pizza and hamburgers, and simply being wonderful.

I love you with all my heart sweet Dominic.  Thank you for all the joy, laughter, and happiness you bring to your family and those around you.  You are a blessing and I am so grateful for your life.

Happy birthday to our Six-Year-Old!





This year's birthday celebration was themed "Big Hero Dominic is 6!"  We partied at Grandpapa and Grandmaman's house with both sets of grandparents, Uncle Tom Auntie Shannon and your cousins, and Oncle Philppe.











































"Dominic has two girlfriends!"

It was a terrific day and birthday.  Here's to another great year!

No comments: