Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Letter to my Son

April 3, 2009

My dearest Baby Boy,

I write to you just days, or perhaps even hours, before we will finally meet face to face. Your due date is still two weeks away, but your father and I can hardly wait any longer. Would you please arrive soon? We have been calling you our “baby boy” for months now, not because we have not been eager to name you, but because we believe that your perfect presence will inspire a perfect name.

I cannot believe how big and strong you are already! I can feel you kick, bounce, stretch, and move from side to side. Feeling you grow in my womb has already been the most incredible experience of my life. When I go to sleep, walk around, go to work, or wake up in the morning, you are always there with me. You are comforted and rocked to sleep when I walk and dance, and you playfully wiggle when you hear music and of course, your daddy’s voice. You kick me strongly when I am stressed or tired from my pregnancy, and I know this is because you are counting on me to hang in there, so that you can too. And there is nothing in the world that I have enjoyed more than laying still with your daddy and watching together as your little feet push up my belly. We already love you with all of our hearts, and I know that this love will only increase when I finally hold and nurse you, and watch you grow.

Since the day you’ve entered my womb, you’ve changed my life for the better. My pregnancy has been challenging, but more meaningful than any other experience. Baby boy, you are a greater blessing then I could ever ask for! I can hardly wait to welcome you into this world, because I already anticipate the joy that you will bring. Sometimes I try to imagine what you look like: your eye-color, your smile and your tiny feet. One thing I know for sure is that you will be beautiful, because every inch of you is handcrafted by God. Your soul will forever be an eternal reminder of the love that your father and I share for each other, co-created with our Father in Heaven.

The first time I ever felt you kick was during mass, on the feast of the Immaculate Conception. You reacted to the organ playing, and the parishioner’s voices around singing and praising God. Although I was a little unsure whether it was really you moving inside of me, the moment did not fail to bring tears to my eyes, as I prayed for you in our Lord’s house. I will always pray for you Baby Boy, for the rest of my life and beyond.

I know that the day our eyes meet will be the day when it will not be as easy for me to keep you safe and shield you from outside pain. Our world can be challenging and sometimes uncertain, but I pray that by God’s grace I will be able to guide you through it. I pray that through my love for you, you will understand how much Jesus truly loves you. I hope that you will always be strong and faithful to the truth, and a loving role model to any younger siblings God may bless our family with. I hope that you will always be guided by God’s love and His special plan for your valued life.

You will always be my little baby boy, and I will forever love you. I am counting the days until I can kiss your little forehead and rock you in my arms.

See you soon baby boy!

Je t’aime,

Maman

No comments: