Thursday, May 31, 2012

our first half-marathon

13.1 miles.

We ran 13.1 miles.

I have been feeling pretty proud this week, if you can't tell!


We trained for 10-weeks, our furthest practice run being a little over ten-miles. Two or three times a week I strapped my babies in the stroller and ran a 5k, and on Saturdays mornings Michael and I would set out on a long-distance work out (often without the boys, thanks to their loving grandparents!).  

The training was challenging!  Although Michael and I enjoyed long conversations during our runs (when you have young children, you have to squeeze in dates whenever you can!), it was tough to stay motivated.  With Gabriel still being a terrible sleeper, there were so many mornings when it seemed like we would never be able to accomplish our goal...



When we got to the race, we were nervous rookies!  I had come down with a cold the day before, Gabriel was up several times that night, and it felt like everyone around us knew what they were doing.  

Our goal was simply to run from the start to the finish line.

I don't have any photos of us running (I was concentrating pretty hard on my 13.1 miles), but overall we had a wonderful experience.  

A Marine Corp troop joined us for the first 5k, and that was a blast.  They chanted back and forth to each other, and completely pumped us up.

The cheerleaders and water stops along the way seemed luxurious in comparison to our grueling training runs.  

We kept an even pace of 10-minute miles, offering up each mile for a different intention, and we crossed the finish line in 2 hrs and 13 minutes.  

Most importantly, we accomplished our goal



My parents and our beautiful boys met us at the finish line with big smiles and hugs.


We are in awe about our accomplishment, and feeling blessed by our partnership, support, health and perseverance!  How amazing is the human body?!


No comments: