Sunday, January 27, 2013

a charming and rainy anniversary

My man and I celebrated 5 years of marriage yesterday!

We were planning to spend the day moving into our dream home, and then breaking open the champagne after the kids went to bed.  Sadly, they won't seem to hand over our keys...  

So, this is what we did instead:

6AM:  It's pouring outside.  Reminds me of our wedding day!  Dominic woke up, still fighting a cold.  My prince-charming sneaks out of our bedroom to get to Dominic, before he wakes up Gabriel (also fighting a cold).  I drift back to sleep...

730AM:  Sweet Gabriel stirs next to me, waking me up with plenty of kisses.  Sleeping in until 730 is quite a luxury in our home, though it would be even more indulgent if we hadn't been up with sick kiddos all night.  I go downstairs and find my breakfast made and waiting for me.  I told you that my husband is awesome!

8AM:  We get dressed to go on our regular Saturday morning family run.  Rain doesn't let up though, so we decide to change our plans.  We hang around the bonus for a little while, playing with the kids.

1030AM:  Finally make it out of the house!  On our way to pick up our wedding anniversary tradition:  cake!  

11AM:  Make a quick stop at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, where we were married, to say a prayer of Thanksgiving to God for our marriage and family.

11:30AM:  Pick up a box of Sprinkles cupcake.  A slight variation on our tradition-- a little more budget friendly than an entire cake, but definitely as delicious!

12PM:  Arrive at Papa and Grandma Ricci's house.

1PM:  Leave the kids in good hands, and off to lunch at Islands, to delight in my all-time favorite fries.   



2PM:  It's hard for us to eat slowly, even without any kids present!  It is still raining outside, so we run to the car and drive in search of a coffee shop to hang out in.  We enjoyed hot tea and a blissful hour of adult conversation.  Nobody needed me to wipe their mouth, hands, bums...  And it turns out that my husband can pour his own drinks.  Another reason to love this man!

3PM:  Arrived (early!) at the theatre for a 3:20 showing of Les Miserables.  I liked it more than the live show!  It was refreshing to enjoy a movie that portrayed goodness and truth as beautiful, and evil as ugly.  I also cried, a lot.

6PM:  Back to Grandma's to pick up the kids!  I know I had a worthwhile break from mommyhood when I long to grab their tiny hands and kiss their soft cheeks again.   At the Ricci's we lit candles and sang "Happy Anniversary to You", shared some delectable cupcakes :), bathed our lovable monkeys and buckled them into the car to drive back to my parent's.  Dominic fell asleep about 2 seconds into the drive, mouth wide-open and all.  Boy, I love that three-year-old!

 






7:15PM:  Boys are asleep in their beds.  We handed the baby monitor over to Grandpapa and Grandmaman, and we're grateful for even more time out alone!!

8PM:  Finally settled on the Cheesecake Factory for dinner.  More delicious food and grown-up conversation!  And the only hand I had to hold all evening was my gorgeous husband's.  

So all in all, we had a pretty fantastic anniversary day.  I'm looking forward to many more in years to come!

No comments: