Tuesday, May 28, 2013

goodbye "suce"

I can't let this special milestone pass without mentioning it at all...

Dominic has LOVED his pacifier, or his "suce", since about Day 6 of his life.   Though we had planned to pacify our newborn primarily through breastfeeding, we soon found out that the pacifier was one of the most effective soothing methods for our high-needs baby with acid-reflux (nursing was quite uncomfortable for him!).  The "suce" instantly become his "lovey", and he (well, we) couldn't go anywhere without it.

As he grew to toddlerhood we tried to wean him from it several times, by limiting the "suce" to bedtime, but Dominic was still very attached to it.  On days when he was especially tired, I would often wonder where Dominic had hidden himself, to find him curled up in his bed with this lovey of his. 

Just last week, Dominic's pacifier broke.  I suggested that instead of buying a new pacifier, he could pick out a new big boy toy at the store.  Never in a million years did I expect him to agree to this idea!  He happily talked about finally being able to buy a butterfly net.  

For the entire day, I worried about bedtime that night...  But when the time finally arrived, our little man simply went to sleep, without hardly mentioning his "suce".  I can't believe how much he is growing up!

We have been pacifier-free for almost a week now, and he is having a blast with his new butterfly net.  This was a great lesson for me, in trusting in a child's natural development, rather than pushing my own expectations on them.  Yes, with some patience, your child WILL sleep through the night, naturally wean from breastfeeding, and give up their pacifier.


No comments: