I have to make a confession...
I attended my High School Reunion.
Overall, my experience in school was very positive-- I enjoyed being a student, was involved in (too many) extracurricular activities and was the kid who participated in school dances, shows and other spirited events. When I look back on my experience however, my anchor through it was was a very special group of close friends.
Most of us met in Middle School and for the years following we had each other to lean on. We were never in a rush to grow up (in fact, we were very childish!), but we had so much fun together. Though we often grew distracted with boyfriends and studying, we could always easily pick up the phone or come together comfortably, as though nothing had changed. And it still feels this way during our rare moments together!
Before leaving for college, the six of us girls proudly created a time capsule. We sealed it, to be opened ten years later, in 2013.
Now with most of us scattered across the country, it was very exciting to get together for our reunion! Tina's family generously lent us their timeshare by the beach for a couple of nights (my first weekend "away" since I become a mother!!) Though we decided to attend some of the "official" High School's events, opening our "box" was truly the headliner of our weekend.
We had a blast finding hilarious home movies, Nsync videos, photos, notes written to each other, old Prom souvenirs and so many other traces of our younger selves. One of the highlights, was "predictions" that we had written for each other.
Here was mine...
In some ways, I think my girlfriends knew me better than I did! In taking some time to look back, my life is drastically different than I would have planned ten years ago. I love everything about it and wouldn't change a thing, but I don't think I would have had the self-knowledge to admit to how conservative and family-oriented I am. Obviously they missed a big prediction about my having children, but I was pretty selfishly outspoken at the time that I would never want babies (!!!).
And by the way, I have not gotten nor evaded any driving tickets. :)
I am so grateful for theses friends, who feel more like sisters, and for our weekend together. We've promised that we won't wait ten years to plan another. I'm counting on this one girls!
Top photo from 2003, Bottom photo from 2013!



No comments:
Post a Comment