Wednesday, August 7, 2013

it's a BOY!

During my first pregnancy I found out that I was having a BOY, and I was terrified.  

I never imagined myself as a "boy's mom".  I don't play sports (in fact, I can't even catch), I like to wear dresses, dance ballet, stay indoors, AND I have a completely irrational fear of bugs.  What was I going to do with a little boy? (insert a mental photo of a dirty child running in the house holding a frog).

Of course, nothing could have prepared me for those sweet chocolate-brown eyes, the contagious smile, and the love I felt for my bundle of joy wrapped up in blue.  Yes, just like his daddy, my little man completely stole my heart.

When I found out that I was expecting another boy, I felt much less nervous, and mainly excited for Dominic.  He would have a little buddy to enjoy his childhood with, and in my mind there couldn't be a better gift for him than that.  I will admit that I was a little selfishly disappointed-- I knew that now I would be outnumbered.  I might actually have to learn to go camping, and sit through a movie like Star Wars one day.  

Luckily, I was right that a baby brother would be an incredible gift for Dominic, in new ways I could not have imagined.  These little guys have so much FUN together.  They share toys, interests, clothes, a room...  They are brothers, and are bonded in a very unique way.

So during this past weekend, when we elected to do an early ultrasound to get a glimpse of our new baby, I wondered why I felt so nervous.  Just in the past few weeks, we have had so many friends and family tell us that they were hoping we would have a girl.  Dominic was completely hung up on the idea of a sister.  And Michael dreams of holding a little girl one day.  

I felt PRESSURE.  How would I react to either result?





The ultrasound technician did not have to explain anything to us.  We've seen two baby boys on the ultrasound screen, so Michael and I both knew immediately that we were looking at our third!

Suddenly I felt PEACE.  I was relieved that our guessing game was over.  This was right.  This little boy is OUR CHILD, chosen for us, and I love him deeply already.  I also felt grateful.  He had an adorable little nose, lips, and beautiful arms and legs.  I am always reminded of all the little details I take for granted during ultrasounds.  


Anyways, I am beyond excited about our newest little guy.  Yes, I will be even more outnumbered, but there are many wonderful incredible things about being the only girl in the house!  Everyone has warned me that little boys love their moms, and wow, they are right!  My precious boys follow in their daddy's example and shower me with love everyday, and even though I am not great at getting down and playing in the mud with them, I know that they adore me and we create many memories together in other ways.  I truly am the one who is blessed by them! 

Of course, what a fun childhood these kids will have, to share it with two brothers...  It is exciting to imagine them growing up together!  

3 months down, 6 more to go!  Thank you for your prayers.




No comments: