Thursday, December 12, 2013

candy cane symbolism

With all of the Advent and Christmas excitement going on, I have decided to take a break from our Little Saints weekly themes, and simply focus on the season.

This week we explore one of our favorite Christmas treats:  Candy Canes.

We read The Legend of the Candy Cane and focused in why the candy is shaped like a Shepherd's staff.  From our Children's Bible we read the story about the Shepherds at the birth of Jesus and also talked about the story of Jesus as our Good Shepherd to reinforce the concept.


We had fun turning over our Candy Canes to make the letter J, for Jesus.  We also discussed the colors of the candy-- red to symbolize the blood of Christ, and white to symbolize purity and forgiveness.

I think our favorite part of the morning was making salt-dough Candy Canes.  




We haven't bought our Christmas tree yet, but I know that the boys will be excited to decorate our tree with their handmade ornaments.  



No comments: