Wednesday, March 5, 2014

persevering... with a little help from my (little) ones

Motherhood is humbling.  
I am always learning so much from watching my children.  Their capacity to love and learn amazes me daily.



It is no secret that the past 10-weeks have been TOUGH.  
Though over two-months old, Nicholas has only reached the milestones of a four-week old baby.  Our little guy suffers from reflux and a lot of gassiness, causing for many unconsolable crying spells.  Needless to say, I have been in survival mode and experiencing a lot of "newborn exhaustion."  
I have spent many evenings complaining to Michael how discouraged and tired I feel of taking care of our unhappy infant.  I often feel as though I cannot make him feel better.  
I have been praying a lot of perseverance and gratefulness.

My sweet boys never seem to run out of love for their little brother however.  
Day-after-day, they have showered him with kisses.  They do not ask anything in return (Nicholas just learned to smile on Monday!)  I am astounded by their patience, and I cannot wait for them to experience the joy of having a tiny baby smile and giggle with them.



This morning was Ash Wednesday, and I bravely attended mass (alone!) with the three babies.  At one point, Gabriel started getting a little mischievous.  Typically, when he starts acting out I pick him up for some snuggles and try to refocus him, but I could not do this since I was already holding Nicholas.  It was in this moment that my Dominic walked over to his younger brother, took his hand and encouraged him to sing the "Holy, Holy, Holy" along with him.  The knelt together for the consecration, still holding hands.  And my heart nearly exploded, feeling surrounded by God's love and the love of my family.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never had a premature baby, but I remember how tough the first month with Parker was. The crying was wearing me out, and I felt like strangers could console him better than I could. It seemed like he looked right through me. I remember what a big deal it was when he learned to smile. I'm glad to hear that Nicholas is smiling now. Also, that church story about your older boys is so sweet. Hang in there mama!