Monday, August 18, 2014

a letter for my three-year-old





Dearest Gabriel,

How is is possible that I am already writing your 3rd birthday letter?  You have grown in so many ways this year, and it is difficult to find the words to express how much your presence means to me.  

You are becoming quite the charmer these days.  Your big, warm brown eyes and effortless smile s sweeten anybody's day.  You are also gifted in the art of word choice.  You ask me if I wouldn't mind "sharing my coffee, chocolate cake ect." with you.  It is nearly impossible to say no to you!

In addition to your way with words, you also have a wonderful and clever sense of humor.  You love making everybody around you laugh.  You bring laughter and smiles into our home each day.

You are far from shy, but you also enjoy alone time (something your mommy can relate to!).  A small toy car, action figure or a puzzle can entertain you for hours.  You first choice of play space is usually a quiet room.  All you really need is your imagination.  It is always an honor to witness your pretend play worlds while I am working nearby.  You truly are a beautiful child, Gabriel.

During this past year, you were "thrown" into big brotherhood unexpectedly and I couldn't have been more proud of you.  I cried many tears when I left you overnight for the first time, and missed your first "childhood" Christmas.  Despite all of this, you easily adapted to our new situation and you continued to bring joy and love into our lives.  For the most part, you have left "baby Nicholas" alone, neither harming nor smothering him.  As your little brother is becoming older in the past few months, I have greatly enjoyed watching you two begin to bond and play together.  I predict that another blessed brotherhood and friendship is blooming.

Your friendship with your older brother has also been a highlight this year.  You have truly become Dominic's playmate and best friend.  You are gentle, compassionate and selfless with your brother-- in more ways than I ever imagined a two-year-old could be!  You encourage him in his sports endeavors and in his simple everyday challenges.  You care for him and always remember all of his favorites.  Your friendship and grace-filled relationship is a gift and an honor for me to watch!

One of my favorite highlights of the past few months has been to watch you put on skates for the first time.  As a baby, you said the word "hockey" before you could put a few words together.  You love your skating lessons and despite being the smallest little body on the ice, you are already excelling.  You tell me that you "Just love to skate" and want to "skate, skate and skate" so that you can learn to play hockey.  Whether or not this will be one of your life's passions, it is wonderful to see you enjoy yourself so much!  

My prayer for you this year is that you continue to enjoy and discover the important moments in life.  I hope to give you hours to explore the outdoors, traditions to remember and new stories to fill your mind and imagination with.  I hope to be an example of Our Father's love to you so that you can start growing in good habits, in grace, and eventually virtue.  I love you with all my heart Gabriel.  

Happy Third Birthday Gabriel!  I am so proud to have you call me Mommy!



No comments: