Wednesday, September 3, 2014

happiest half marathon

I signed up for the Disney half marathon about one-month after Nicholas was born.  

I set the same postpartum goal after I had Gabriel and it was a challenging and effective way to get back into shape!  Michael and I ran 13.1 miles together and my hubby swore he would never. do. it. again.

So...

For my second half-marathon I trained alone (in the wee hours of the morning) and reeled my mom in to run the event with me.  She had surgery on her spine less than two-years-ago and was still willing to give it a go.  She did awesome.


My mom and I ran in an intimate crowd of 16,000 people.  It is hard to even describe how many participants there were.  The first corral started at 530AM.  We were in the last group and our corral didn't even cross the starting line until 630AM!  

So we took some selfies while we waited to start, in our matchy matchy shirts.




After waiting in line for an hour, I can almost see the starting line.



Here we go!

The race was a ton of fun.  The first four miles curved through both of the theme parks.  From there we travelled around Anaheim, past the Honda Center and even through Angel's Stadium.  

There were high school marching bands, dance and cheer teams all along the way.  Not to mention a car show and an amazing audience of cheerleaders lining the streets with signs.  One of my favorite signs read "Worst Disneyland Parade Ever."  








We finished up back at the Disneyland Hotel.

My dad and the boys were so sweet to meet us at the finish line.  





13.1 miles, check! 


No comments: