Wednesday, January 21, 2015

wintering

The grass truly is greener on the other side because while most of the country is bundled up under a layer of January snow, my warm-weather boys dream of hearing snow crunch under their boots, making powdery angels and building a fantastic snowman with chocolate-chip for eyes.

We took a quick getaway to the mountains last weekend.  We had high hopes for heaping snow banks because of last week's precipitation, but the California sunshine had already melted the majority of it, leaving but small piles here-and-there in the shadier spots.  As we unloaded our car after the drive, Dominic stubbornly put on his snow gear from head to toe and sat outside (in the dark).  "I'll wait out here until somebody takes me sledding", he announced.  Despite his sassy attitude, my heart did go out for him a teensy-bit-- mostly though, it was just difficult to keep a straight face!

On Saturday we went hunting for snow.  Luckily, it did not take too much to impress the boys.  Our sledding slope was about 50% MUD, but they could not have been happier gliding down. 

 It is moments like these when we step outside of our regular routine that I get that tightness in my heart.  It is all going so fast.  Their pure, innocent, sweet and adventurous souls will be all grown-up before long.  I know that I will never look back and think that I spent too much time with them, because no matter what I do, time just seems to escape me.  I love these boys and and I am so proud and honored to be their mother.












No comments: